Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bald Swedish Man?

Well, it's that time of year again. NaNoWriMo! For those of you not as cool as I (or perhaps just not as word-nerdy), here's a quick synopsis: 50,000 words, 30 days. Yep, that's about it. A worldwide writing challenge to create a novel (okay, technically a novella - still insane) in one month. From November 1st to the 30th I will be tackling 1667 fictional words every day. If I'm lucky, they might even resemble something coherent at the end!

The NaNo community here in Edmonton is amazing. I highly recommend anyone who is interested take a look at our regional forum. We have 20 or so events throughout the month, including but not limited to: write-ins, LRT-writing, laser tag, plot planning parties, halfway party and the epic Thank God It's Over party. About 300 people in Edmonton participate, and we have an absolute blast! We're a crazy group, to be sure, but all friendly.

This will be my 5th NaNo, and hopefully my 5th "win" (i.e. reaching 50,000). I'm fairly sure it will be my most challenging year yet. I'm in my second year of University, and my course load has significantly increased. On top of all my essays/projects/eye-stabbing-with-pens/assignments, I also work six days a week. I am a glorified slave specializing in... wait for it... pizza! Yes, I work at a pizza restaurant, slapping dough and making boxes and performing other such (slightly) suggestive activities.

Added to all of that is my freelance editing. I have a contract with a safety training company at the moment, proofing manuals. It's nice to have real work in my field of choice. What's left of my free time is spent on photography. I shoot with a Canon Rebel XS; she's my baby. Nature, people and still-life are my preferred subjects.

As exhausting as my life tends to be, I love it. Truly.

November is approaching like a... not a speeding train, that's too cliche. More like a bald Swedish man with two battle-axes and a grudge, running at full tilt.

50,000, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment